I’m a Researcher, Get me out of here! is back this November. Between Monday 11th and Friday 22nd, students at 12 schools will be putting their questions to 8 researchers all working on machine learning.
Let’s meet the researchers and schools taking part…
Machine Learning Zone
The Machine Learning Zone is supported by The University of Oxford.
Yee-Whye The | Professor of Statistical Machine Learning
I’m researching the scientific principles that underpins machine learning at the Department of Statistics.
Valerie Bradley | PhD student in Statistics
I’m developing methods for predicting how likely someone is to support a political candidate, with cutting-edge machine learning techniques.
Nick Hawes | Associate Professor of Engineering Science (Robotics)
I work on AI methods to allow robots to plan and execute behaviour for missions that last from minutes to months.
Mackenzie Graham | Senior Researcher in Imaging Ethics
My work tries to answer ethical questions like ‘How should we use new technology, to make sure that they benefit everyone?’
Lin Shuyu | PhD Student
I am working on developing algorithms which can truly ‘think’ and ‘understand’.
Jacob Leygonie | Dphill Student in Mathematics
I teach computers to recognise differences and similarities between certain shapes, so that they can come up with their own definitions of what each shape is.
Brian Zhang | Dphill Student in Statistics
I analyse DNA samples to help people discover their ancestry and which diseases they’re most likely to develop in their lifetimes, using machine learning algorithms to find interesting patterns in the data
Anna Gautier | PhD Student
I study competitive multi-robot systems; circumstances where multiple robots have to interact with each other, but may not be able to communicate with each other.
- Colton Hills Community School, Wolverhampton
- Fitzharrys School, Abingdon
- Hitchin Girls’ School, Hitchin
- Leasowes High School, Halesowen
- Northfield School and Sports College, Billingham
- South Wirral High School, Wirral
- St Ambrose Barlow RC High School, Manchester
- St Anne’s Roman Catholic High School, Stockport, Stockport
- The Cooper School, Bicester
- The Heathland School, Hounslow
- The John Henry Newman Catholic School, Stevenage
- Tong Leadership Academy, Bradford