- Access to the Machine Learning Zone website
- ‘Interactive drag and drop criteria list’ or ‘criteria cards for printing’
- Generated student registration link for students to access the site from home to complete homework
1. Use this link to explain the I’m a Researcher event and show the zone home page on the screen to familiarise the class with it.
2. Mindmap “research” – what do students understand about research at the moment? They can do this individually, in pairs, or as a class, and anything goes. This event is a chance for them to find out more. Keep the mindmaps to compare how the students’ ideas change throughout I’m a Researcher.
Main activity – You’re the Judges!
Students have the power to decide who wins this competition!
This activity helps students think about what is important to them in judging the researchers.
NB/ The criteria are general and don’t necessarily relate to specific researchers in this event.
2. Ask students to consider which criteria are most important and which are least important to them.
3. Rank the criteria and discuss as a class. Can the class agree on a top 5?
- Can students come up with any other criteria that may be important when judging the researchers?
- Take a look at some of the researchers’ profiles as a class – how do they fare up against your top judgement criteria?
- Students log in at home and set up their profiles.
- Students read at least 2 researchers’ profiles.
- Students ASK one question on the site.